Upgraded Ghost on OpenShift

Authored by Hallaj on July 5, 2014

I’ve upgraded my Ghost installation on OpenShift to 0.4.2 now and I thought I’d share the steps here, just in case if anyone ever needs it as a reference.

  1. Clone your existing OpenShift repository:

     git clone <openshift_repository> <path>
  2. Change directory to the checkout path:

     cd <path>
  3. Add the Ghost OpenShift quickstart repository:

     git remote add ghost_openshift
  4. Pull the latest changes from it:

     git pull ghost_openshift master
  5. Push the changes back into your Ghost repository in OpenShift:

     git push origin

    Now, all you need to do is wait for it to finish building and updating itself. I mean, how it easy was it huh? ;)

Happy Ghosting :)

Yet another Greenplum Interconnect error

Authored by Hallaj on June 26, 2014

I’ve faced yet another Greenplum Interconnect error with the following error:

"ERROR","58M01","Interconnect Error: Could not connect to seqserver.  (seg0 slice1 gpslave1:40000 pid=14231)","Connection refused (connect errno 111)"

After doing tons of checks on the gpslave1 server itself, nothing was found to be problematic. Ping shows reply, telnet to the ports shows active and no errors could be found.

Finally, on the master itself, I tried to ping the configured host of the master and it returned That’s simply according to the /etc/hosts file. localhost gpmaster gpslave1 gpslave2 gpslave3

One more thing that’s left to be done; I changed the host gpmaster from to the actual LAN IP and it works!

So, a small piece of note, all the nodes (including the master, should resolve to the IP the other nodes needs to access from. Simply assuming gpmaster would only need to listen to itself doesn’t work.

Nicer font in Fedora 20

Authored by Hallaj on March 22, 2014

Okay, to start this off - I’m actually a Crunchbang user. Recently my laptop’s hard disk died and while waiting for a replacement, I decided to revive an older laptop of mine and give Fedora a try.

I would say that everything was perfect, well - “almost” but I simply hated the font! That prompted me to go on a journey to get the font fixed.

Browsing around and I start to notice that I was not the only one with issues. There are tons of complaints out there about the font rendering on Fedora. I did however found one that was promising, and I gave it a try.

sudo rpm -Uvh
sudo yum -y install freetype-infinality fontconfig-infinality libXft-infinality
cd /etc/fonts/infinality/
sudo ./ setstyle linux
sudo fc-cache -fv

Once, I’ve done all of those and fired up a new terminal, the font was just lovely! Exited my Firefox browser and there you have it, my Gmail is back to it’s beautiful self!

Oh, of course I’m still running Openbox with it :)